- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Arts & Culture
- Campus Ministry
- Counseling & Health Center
- Housing & Residence Life
- International Student Services
- Moreau Center for Service & Leadership
- Portland, OR
- Public Safety
- Recreational Services
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- Student Activities
- Student Affairs
- Student Resources
- About UP
- Shiley School of Engineering
- Engineering Dean's Suite
Shiley 226, MSC 145
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- Contact Us
- Shiley School of Engineering Home
- Undergraduate Programs
- Master of Biomedical Engineering (M-BME)
- Master of Engineering (MEng.)
- Special Programs
- Study Abroad & Other International Programs
- Fundamentals of Engineering
- Faculty & Staff
- Engineering Store
Shiley School of Engineering: Internships, Externships, and Co-ops
You are strongly encouraged to complete at least one internship related to your field of study before you graduate so that you are competitive when it's time to start your career.
The Office of Career Services
should be your first stop to look at the extensive list of summer and semester internships. Also, every year, our Society for Women Engineers and the Office of Career Services co-host an Engineering & Science Career Fair.
Link to the Shiley School's listing of information sessions, jobs, internships, and other relevant info.
The Shiley School has four (4) formal programs:
1. MECOP - Multiple Engineering Cooperative Program: Allows students to voluntarily experience two six-month internships. [For now, this opportunity is available for UP's mechanical engineering students and computer science students only.] The paid internships take place during the summer and fall after the third year and the summer and fall after the fourth year in the program. MECOP interns, therefore, complete their degree in five years (note that internships constitute one full year). There is an application and interview process to participate in the MECOP program. Students apply during March of their sophomore year. Students selected to represent the University of Portland then go through a MECOP interview screening process in May. Those selected into the MECOP program take a MECOP seminar course during their junior year and go through a placement screening process for the company. If you are interested in participating in MECOP or want to learn more, see Kimberly Felipe (program counselor), or Cathy Myers, Director of Industry and Community Partnerships.
2. Externships for Sophomores: An externship or job shadow experience is a one day opportunity for students to gain an understanding of a business, industry, and career. Students have an opportunity to gain insight into a specific industry of interest by shadowing a career volunteer in the workplace. Externships are short-term opportunities with long-term benefits. For information about the 2014 externship schedule, contact Career Services, or Cathy Myers, Director of Industry and Community Partnerships.
3. Bonneville Power Administration: P rovides paid internships with benefits for majors in civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and information technology. The internships for BPA generally happen during the summer.
4. NASA Oregon Space Grant Consortium:
With membership in the consortium, UP students are eligible to apply for scholarships, internships, sponsored projects, and research grants. Various internship opportunities exist, including working at a single NASA facility over the summer, working for NASA Academy and spending several weeks at multiple NASA facilities, and receiving a fellowship to work on a specific research project. For more information, go to intern.nasa.gov and look under SOLAR or Student Opportunities for eligibility and details.
- Directions & Maps
- 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
- © 2014 University of Portland, All Rights Reserved