Skip to main content Skip to footer site map


Engineering and computer science students often want to gain some research experience while pursuing their undergraduate degree. There are several possible avenues for this opportunity:

1. Work one-on-one directly with a faculty advisor during the school year, with the research course counting as one of your elective courses. To find a faculty member with your interests, visit the directory.

2. Be hired during the summer to conduct independent research projects with a faculty advisor. Current summer research students can view a schedule of events and other information on the research website here!

3. Participate in the National Science Foundation’s Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program that places students at leading graduate institutions where they work with research professors and graduate students on a project of interest. REUs include summer stipend, housing, and often travel costs. Search for a project at the link above.

4. Pursue an opportunity to participate in the Shiley School's Grand Challenge Scholars Program